This recipe is the rough draft that Sean and I
follow. It came from Miriam's Puerto Rican cookbook. One thing it left out was the sugar,
which might be why it was called traditional. So Sean and I add it at the
end. Sometimes Sean will put the spices in B in cheesecloth while it
boils so it's easy to remove. It's not my mom's, but it's as close as we've come!
Arroz Con Dulce
2 cups of short grain rice.
1/3 cup of seedless raisins
2 cups of sugar
2 15oz. cans of creme of coconut milk.
2 ounces of cold butter cut in pieces.
- Soak rice covering generously for 1 1/2 hrs.
- In a small sauce pan combine ingredients in B. Cover and heat on
med. heat for 10 min. strain and reserve the liquid.
- In 11in. stock pot combine ingredients in C. Heat on high, when
boiling lower heat to med. Strain the rice and put it in the stock pot and mix to loosen.
.Simmer uncovered until it's dry.
- Toss the rice, cover and simmer for 20min. In a separate container, soak raisins
generously in water.
- Toss the rice. Add coconut milk, liquid from step 2, and the raisins.
- Simmer slowly on med. to low heat for 30 min. or until dry. Toss rice by adding the
butter and the sugar. Mix only enough butter to cover the rice. Put in serving dish and
press it. best to serve at room temperature
|E-mail our webmaster
with your comments.
Last updated: March 13, 1998
|Copyright © 1997 - 1998, J. D. Colón and
All rights reserved