This recipe comes to us from Patricia who shared it with Miriam,
who then shared it with me, who then well.. posted it here!! Patricia has 2
different versions for it, the original being more of a Mexican version and the
second having a more Italian taste. Once you make it you'll see how easy it is and
it is a great casserole to make for buffets or big dinners. I personally love it
because my kids will eat it and it's a green vegetable! Hey, my kids are little..
you get the veggies in there any way you can!
Dishes: Zucchini Casserole
- 3 lbs. zucchini
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 lb Monterey Jack cheese (cubed or sliced)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. butter(or margarine. If using margarine, do not use low fat.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cube zucchini and steam until just barely tender.
- combine eggs, milk, chilies, parsley, cheese, salt,and baking powder.
- Toss in zucchini and mix well.
- Transfer mixture to a buttered casserole that has been dusted with half the bread
crumbs, then sprinkle the top with the remaining crumbs and dot with butter.
- Bake for 45 min. or until cooked through and lightly browned.
Eliminate green chilies and cheese. Substitute:
- 1/4 tsp. Dried Thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp. Dried Tarragon (may substitute these herbs with Rosemary)
- 1/2 tsp. dried Marjoram, crumbled
- 1 onion chopped very fine.
- 1/4 cup (no more and no less) of freshly grated Parmesan
Cheese-canned if you must!
Optional: you may
add 1 clove of fresh garlic finely chopped
|E-mail our webmaster
with your comments.
Last updated: March 13, 1998
|Copyright © 1997 - 1998, J. D. Colón and
All rights reserved